If you are not a GF person, feel free to try our recipe with traditional flour and just leave out the xanthan gum. These were a big hit with everyone that got a chance to taste them. Below is the recipe and some super cute pictures of my sous chef! Now, get those berries thawing and print our recipe!
M's Gluten-free Blueberry Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries thawed & drained (we used Dole's frozen blueberries)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest *you can leave this out if you want a straight up blueberry muffin
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice *also optional- but super yummy!
- 1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- *I suggest measuring out everything first and grouping what gets mixed together.
***Before you get anything else started, be sure to melt your butter and set it aside to give it time to cool***
Let butter cool all the way or it can cook the eggs later in the process!
BREAK INGREDIENTS INTO THESE GROUPS:
GROUP 1: gluten-free flour,baking powder, xanthan gum, salt
GROUP 2: eggs, milk, vanilla, cooled butter, lemon zest and lemon juice
GROUP 3: This one is really a solo act. Just be sure to keep it separate!
PREHEAT OVEN TO 375
Step 1: Sift GROUP 1 together.
Step 2: In a separate bowl, use a hand mixer to beat GROUP 2 together until blended.
Step 3: Add GROUP 3- the "solo" sugar to GROUP 2 and beat until creamy
Step 4: With the mixer on low, slowly add GROUP 1 into the creamed mixture
Step 5: Put away the mixer and grab a good old fashioned spoon to gently fold in the berries.
Step 6: Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 of the way and pop them in the oven for 20 minutes.
*Quick tip for even baking: 1/2 way through the cook time, carefully rotate the pan before allowing the to bake for the remainder of the time.
Step 7: Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 2 minutes before moving them to a cooling rack.
M ate two of the muffins before they even had a chance to cool all the way! She got a little too excited about the second muffin and got blueberry on her nose. At least it made for a cute photo op!
We hope you enjoy our recipe!